December 13, 2016 VORC Meeting Minutes

Members Present:

  • Matt Phippen, President
  • Eric Coulter, Vice President
  • Dave Staab
  • Ashley Hesson
  • Brad Barker
  • Scott Birker
  • Matt Boggess
  • Beth Mayhew
  • Jim Mayhew, Secretary

 

Reports

VORC & VPRD

On Thursday, 12/8/16 Matt Phippen presented to the Vinton Parks & Recreation Board about the trails project and VORC vision for the future. We are fortunate to have this type of partnership as many off road cycling clubs don’t have such great relationship with their community. Most land managers, including municipalities, don’t see the value that mountain biking adds to communities. As told to Matt Boggess by an outside trails expert, Vinton’s model of “trails equals parks” could be a national model.

GO CR Fat Sac & Fox Enduro Ride

Matt Boggess, Matt Phippen and Josh Erickson competed in the 3-hour event finishing in 9th place. The snowy conditions added to the fun but made for very slippery conditions.

Discussion was had that the lower trail would be perfect for hosting our own event. Matt Phippen offered we could hold this in 2017, either as a stand alone event, or possibly as part of a “cup” series along the Cedar Valley. We will need help from the community to execute an event of that size that could drive hundreds of riders to town.

Social Media Report

Jim Mayhew shared some stats with the group about top social media posts:

  • “Snow” video has 861 views
  • The helmet cam video of Matt Phippen riding the GoCR Enduro has 506 views
  • The “Lower Trail is OPEN” post has 526 views
  • Merry Christmas from VORC post has 726 views
  • The SD groomer post has 493 posts

Sharing VORC posts to your own FB page is a big boost to views and engagement with our VORC Facebook page. By sharing posts we are reaching friends of friends and helping people discover our unique and wonderful trails. More people using the trails = more members = more opportunities.

NOTE:  There is also a VORC (Vinton Off Road Cyclists) closed group for VORC members only. This group is for communications between group members. Only members of the group can see the posts. Feel free to use this group for suggestions, ideas, meetings and other group discussion.

Signage

Jim Mayhew mentioned the need for some signage at the sledding hill parking area, as the trail head is not visible from the parking area. It is clearly indicated on our MTB Project map (on the VORC website as well as MTB Project website) so people from out of town should be able to get there. It was noted that local residents are the ones who often ask about where the trails are. Matt Boggess and Brad Barker agreed that temporary signage would be beneficial until more long-term (nicer) signage is ready.

Grooming The Lower Trail Using the SD

Dave Staab continues to refine the design of our sweet SD groomer. After our first fluffy 3″ snow last week, we experimented with using the groomer behind the 4-wheeler. The SD worked wonderful! Dave has continued to improve the SD’s design with more adjustability and finishing options. We are lucky to have someone so gifted with engineering!

Community Advocacy & Awareness

We need ideas to improve awareness in the community. Matt Phippen shared that when presenting to Kiwanis and Lions clubs, many people had heard of the trails but few, if any, had used them. We need to work on developing relationships with local businesses (ie, restaurants/bars) to cater to cyclists, more coverage from the local news media (Vinton Today, Vinton Newspapers), and even opportunities for students to utilize Black & Gold Hours.

Jim has set up a community event at the Vinton Library on 1/23/17 at 6:30PM. This gives VORC members a chance to talk about the trail system, how the community can use it, benefits of the trails, etc.

VORC Trail Ride

On Tuesday 12/20 the meeting will be a night ride on the lower trail. We’ll meet at the boyscout camp at 5:30PM. We will do a night ride so you’ll need lighting and warm clothes. We’ll have a fire going in the fire pit, so bring hot dogs or other treats to share – and some beverages, too. Have FUN!

Jim will create an event on FB.

 

Meeting Adjourned

Share This