January 17, 2017 VORC Meeting Minutes

Members Present:

  • Matt Phippen, President
  • Jeff Peterson
  • Dave Staab
  • Ashley Hesson
  • Matt Boggess
  • Beth Mayhew
  • Jim Mayhew, Secretary
  • Ryan Jacobs
  • Josh Erickson, Trail Steward
  • Randy Scheel

 

Randy Scheel attended our meeting as a guest. We learned about his involvement with Old Creamery Trail (OCT) and Benton County Conservation (BCC).

  • Discussion was had about partnership with OCT
    • Help OCT with trail upkeep by adopting a section of the trail to maintain
      • Randy said they needed help with sections heading out of Garrison, both east and west
    • VORC would like to occasionally attend meetings with OCT club
    • OCT holds meetings on the 1st Monday of the month at The Nature Center (Rodgers Park)
  • Possible opportunities for collaboration with Benton Co. Cons.
    • Build trails at Rodgers?
    • Possible pump track?
    • Prepare information to share with BCC about singletrack impact on the environment/camper’s experience, and the local biking community
  • Discussion around connecting OCT to Kiwanis Park as a trail head
    • Creates synergy between VORC, Vinton Parks & Recreation, and OCT
    • Potential future splash pad at Kiwanis
    • Becomes a day-long destination for families
  • Benton county trail system: ideas for connecting our trails
    • OCT
    • Cedar Valley Nature Trail
    • Riverside Park Trail System
    • Rodgers Park?
    • Tilford Elementary

 

VORC Public Information Night

  • Excitement around this as an “event”
  • Have bikes on hand for people to test ride
    • Best option: parking lot ½ block west of library (Hesson Apartments)
  • Borrow lights from Fire Dept for safety/awareness
  • VPD have a presence – Matt Phippen will talk with Chief Paxton
  • Pizza Hut donating pizza
  • Library is donating plates and napkins
  • Scheels donating water
  • Promote the event:
    • Need to talk with local businesses
    • Ask Melissa Schwann to talk with businesses and BOG
    • Hand out flyers, invite businesses to check it out
  • VORC members will wear quarter-zip pullovers
    • Matt Phippen will get these done by the end of the week for individuals who are presenting but don’t have one yet
  • Add meeting itinerary to Facebook – Jim will do
    • Brad Barker will not be available; Matt Boggess will take his place
Share This